Not that I've ever actually made, nor do I have plans to make a seven-course gourmet meal.
One can still hope for a perfect little angel BT, right?
I've slowly gathered recipes for freezable crock pot meals (thank you, Pinterest), gladly accepted a few bags of mom's marinara to freeze, stocked up on ground turkey to freeze and have also portioned out and ziplocked serving-size scoops of the cranberry-nut trail mix from Costco. They used to sell single-servings in a large box, but now it only comes in a huge bulk bag...think you can fool me, Costco?! That's why I asked for a food scale last Christmas. Muuaahahahaa.
It was a rainy and unseasonably cold yesterday so I decided a crock pot meal was in order. I also decided yesterday was the day I'd purchase all necessary ingredients to make the rest of the crock pot recipes, so off to Super 1 I went.
It must have been my lucky day because Super 1 also had a sale on mac n' cheese...only 98 cents a box! Fun fact: the spiral mac n' cheese is considerably (that's a relative term) more healthy (again, a relative term) than the regular mac n' cheese.
Here are a few of the meals from Pinterest chillin' in my freezer right now. Two of which we've already taste-tested, so I threw in a few of my own tweaks and serving suggestions:
The pictures and recipes are from the blog Ring Around the Rosies.
Note: I'm using pre-frozen chicken breasts that are a tad on the small side compared to the large, fresh chicken breasts I see at the store. That said, I eyeball the amount of other ingredients and then determine if I should add an extra chicken breast to the bag. Example: I put three in each bag for the Chicken Teriyaki and I'm glad I did.
Note II: Each recipe calls for the listed measurements and ingredients to be split equally amongst two bags/containers so you get two meals from each recipe. Each serves two adults dinner for at least two nights. The Cilantro Lime Chicken w/ Black Beans and Corn also made enough for a few lunches on top of two dinners.
Note III: Make sure to thaw each bag in the fridge a day beforehand before use. Don't put 100% frozen ingredients in the crock pot.
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Black Beans and Corn
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 cups cilantro
- 1 large bag of frozen corn (or two smaller bags)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 2 cans of black beans (I did not drain them)
- 2 tsp cumin or chipotle powder
- salt/pepper to taste
Instructions: Split everything into two
containers. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for
container: Place in fridge a day ahead to thaw. Cook on low 7-8 (check at 7 hours) hours or high 4 hours, serve with
hot tortillas or tostitos. Dress with sour cream, guacamole, and/or cheese.
Make sure to check this around hour 7. Ours started charring a bit close to hour 8.
I shredded the chicken once it was done cooking and then put it back in with the corn and bean mixture. Made for easier serving.
For serving, I used Mission's Corn &
Whole Wheat Artisan Style Tortillas and much preferred that flavor over regular corn tortillas. I also sliced up avocado (instead of guac) and diced tomatoes for a fresh factor.
Teriyaki Chicken
- Medium bag of baby carrots
- 1 red onion into large chunks
- 2 large cans pineapple (undrained)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 chicken breasts (I suggest 6 if the pieces are smaller)
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce
Instructions: Follow directions above, and split everything
into two gallon freezer bags. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer.
Instructions for bag: Place in fridge a day ahead to thaw. Add 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce to crock pot, Cook on low 8
hours or high 4 hours. Serve over hot rice.
I served it over brown rice and it was delish! The original recipe called for a medium-large bag of carrots, but that's A LOT of carrots compared to the rest of the ingredients, so I recommend just a medium bag or 2-3 cups per container.
Lazy Day Stew
Haven't tried it yet, but I have two bags sitting in my freezer! Yes, I did add in lima beans. We'll see if Justin picks them out or not :)
- 4lb cubed stewing beef
- 4 cups baby carrots
- 4 cups baby red potatoes (cut in half)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 10 oz package dried lima beans (optional)
- 2 cups celery, chopped (4-5 stalks)
- 4 tsp quck-cooking tapioca
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce (1/2 in each bag)
- 2 cup water
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
Instructions: Follow directions above, and put everything
into two one gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, label and put in the
freezer. Instructions for bag: Place in fridge a day ahead to thaw. Cook on low 8 hours. Eat as a soup, or serve
over hot noodles or rice. Add a bit of shredded cheddar or mozzarella.
Chicken Divine
Have yet to try this one too...two bags are in the freezer. I think the cream of chicken and milk in this dish will make it deliciously comforting and filling.
-

- 6 chicken breasts
- 4 cups baby carrots
- 4 cups fresh broccoli (chopped)
- 2 onions
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cartons of cream of chicken soup (add 1 each at cook time)
- 2 cup milk (add 1 each at cook time)
Instructions: Split everything into two containers. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for container: Place in fridge a day ahead to thaw. Add 1 cream of chicken soup and 1 cup of milk, cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4 hours.
I'm also thinking 1 cup of rice + 1 cup water (so 1/2 c. ea. per container) would work well in here. Or just serve it with prepared rice.
Savory Chicken
Savory Chicken
I have yet to make this one...I'm out of room in the freezer!
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 4 Tbs white wine
- 2 bay leafs
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion (put one small in each bag)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups broccoli (*add when cooking)
Instructions: Follow directions above, and put everything
(except broccoli) into two gallon freezer bags. Shake it up, seal, label and
put in the freezer. Instructions for bag: Place in fridge a day ahead to thaw. Cook on low 8 hours, *add broccoli
during the last 30 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment