Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Moore Girls Visit Team Thompson (not more girls)

I'm sure you've noticed, but I'm roughly two months behind in posts...one of these days I'll get caught up and post updates when things actually happen vs. two months later.

We've been busy with home improvement projects, work, sleep and watching Doctor Who and Torchwood; two shows produced by the BBC. They're brilliant, darling. Absolutely fantastic. Spot on.

We've watched a lot of Doctor Who. 

But I digress.

Today, I'm taking you back to July again with this post.

Sunday morning, after Joe and Brianna's wedding, Justin and I woke early and hit the road to return to California. I drove most of the way as JT had been driving us everywhere else, so I could work in the car. On the way back we stopped to see the Stonehenge replica, a monument to fallen soldiers of Klickitat County who died during WWI built near the Washington/Oregon border; it's something I've always just driven past on previous trips.
 The mighty Columbia (that's for you, Nanny!), the Biggs Rapids-Sam Hill Bridge and Mt. Hood.

Yes, still sporting my wedding up-do. It was early, ok? And yes, I did see recently a 14-year-old at church wearing this same tank top. I'm not going to wear it anymore. At least not in public.

We also stopped for lunch at Deschutes Brewery in Bend for one last hoorah -- a hoorah which was dampened a bit by the unfortunate and too-late discovery of the presence of goat cheese in my toasted cheese sandwich. I can't stand goat cheese. Much in the same way JT can't stand squash. It makes my mouth water the way your mouth waters when you have the flu and you know you need to find a bathroom asap.

As we were in a hurry to get back on the road, I simply squirted ketchup and a lot of their house horseradish-honey mustard combo on the world's most disgusting grilled cheese, dunked it in JT's tomato soup and ate it as fast as I could, all while trying not to breathe through my nose so the flavor of the goatiness was not amplified more than necessary.

Back home we were forced to quickly return to our normal routine, but knowing we had guests lined up for our first weekend back was definitely something to look forward to!

Francie and MaryJane, two of the three "Moore Girls," my mom's first cousins, (Hi Francie & MJ!) came to stay with us for a night before heading down to Carmel to meet their sister Jill for a family wedding.

The ladies treated Justin and me to a nice anniversary dinner (Team Thompson rang in three years July 26th) at Billy Berks in downtown San Jose. We had a lovely time chatting about everything under the sun, and then some, at dinner.

 Francie, MaryJane and me.

The loveliness continued the next morning while hanging out in the kitchen while I made scones and the ladies got ready for their trip to Carmel. It was fun to get to show them around our place and the city we call home -- they're both loyal blog readers and were excited to see the place with their own eyes -- especially the lemon tree :)

They also stopped by the store to see me on Monday before continuing on to the rest of their vacation in San Fran.

Thanks for staying with us and visiting, ladies! It was sweet of you to treat us to dinner for our anniversary and we loved getting to hang out with you, even for just a short while :)

2 comments:

MaryJane said...

Hi, Chris! We made the blog...hooray! Actually we had so much fun visiting, I forgot the bonus of making the blog! We had a great time; thanks for having us and being such great hosts.

Francie said...

WOW--just found this part of your blog--big surprise!! Thank you for including us but moreover, thank you for sharing a part of your life with us!! We loved our time there and have bragged, bragged, bragged to your grandmother about the two of you. You are special!!!