Sunday, March 1, 2009

She sleeps like a log, he sleeps like a chainsaw

I've always been a very heavy sleeper and poor JT has always had rough go catching a few Zs, or even feeling rested, for that matter. Most days, he'll think he has slept most of the night but still feels worn down. Much to JT's chagrin, I can fall asleep almost anytime, anywhere - and most definitely can't put in more than 10 minutes of consciousness as a passenger in a car unless engaged in conversation. We've tried many different remedies for JT, but have yet to find one that works. Sleeping pills have the opposite effect, warm milk doesn't do anything, and night caps don't do the deed. NyQuil? It just turns him into a lunatic. He's spent many a night extremely exhausted, but wide awake just laying in bed (and me sound asleep next to him probably doesn't make him very happy).

I sleep so soundly that I've slept through several loud and rambunctious events, such as the time a drunk woman came screamin' down Cherry Lane (the street on which I grew up) at 80 mph, lost control of her car, and severed off 2 pear trees, a telephone pole, our mailbox and at least one of our arborvitae before coming to a stop in our front hedge. I forgot to mention that this was during the summer so I had my windows open, AND my bedroom faced the street. In addition to the accident, which I can imagine was loud itself, I slept through the commotion of everyone in th
e house jumping up from bed and running down the stairs, half of the neighborhood conversing in our front yard, police and ambulances, search parties (because the crazy woman wondered off) and even the sun coming up.

About 8 a.m. in the morning, my bedroom door flew open and my mom, it quite a frantic state, said, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!" I just looked at her for a minute or two wondering myself where I'd been because I thought for sure I'd just been sleeping. She then started to laugh, saying, "you slept through all of that, didn't you?" and had me look through my window at what looked like a bomb had exploded in the front driveway. I had missed whole thing - I still can't believe I slept through it all. Who knows what else I've missed in the night.

As most of you know, the majority of our belongings are in Seattle - including my pillows (yes, pillow with an s). Now, it may sound silly, but I never realized how much my pillows contributed to my good night's sleep. Upon arrival in Morgan Hill I bought a new pillow, which just doesn't compare to my old ones. I'm getting more used to it, but do find myself waking up from time to time in the middle of the night (it could be because of the train, or the wind, or the rain, or the cold, but I'm blaming this one on the pillow).

When I wake out of uncomfortableness, I sometimes find Justin snoring away. Has he always been a snorer? I do not know. Maybe our motorhome neighbors could tell us? It's possible he has always been, considering I sleep through most anything. The snores that come out of JT aren't just any old snores, but more like the world's loudest snores - like that of an amplified chainsaw that is hard to start and is stuck in a jello mold. As I'm writing this, I'm beginning to wonder
if maybe he has sleep apnea or something else we should have evaluated...maybe we should get a recorder. That very well could be why he doesn't ever feel rested...?? Humm...

Anyway, the reason I felt inspired to do this post is because of Justin's cockamamie (and I mean that in the most loving way possible, dear) chainsaw chain tattoo around his upper right calf. It just seemed too ironic that he sounds like a chainsaw when he sleeps and I sleep like a log! JT has a liking for tattoos and says he got the idea for this one while contemplating items/ideas that would be a tribute to his Grays Harbor roots (it took a lot of convincing for him not to get a Nirvana tatt on his bootie - I'm totally kidding, that never even crossed his mind). It was either a Grays Harbor tribute, or he caught a glimpse of his sleeping-like-a-chainsaw future. I forget most of the time that this wonderful pie
ce of art graces his leg, but when he wears shorts and I see it, I can't help but chuckle. I must give him credit, however, because it is a most creative tattoo - definitely not your run of the mill (no pun intended) "barbwire around the arm" tatt. He has two others, but we'll leave those off this post for now - they could spark more blog ideas later on!!

I'm tatt-free, but know quite a few folks who have one or more - do you?

Too Sexy

(I fear this is the only shot we have of said tattoo...I know, I can't believe it either.)


2 comments:

MaryJane said...

Don and I have the same sleeping arrangement as you guys. It's great when the dog wants to go out in the middle of the night! And no, I don't have any tatts either.

Sara said...

We are whacko sleepers too - I sleep like a log and Eric has trouble, but when I do wake up, he is always grinding his teeth. Yikes.
Also, I'm tat-free as well! I didn't know we had that in common.