Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The great outdoors

Oh, how I love the sunny days in Arizona. I'm sure at some point we'll long for snow, or even a foggy morning, but, for now, Rolly and I really enjoy the weather and our (almost) daily trips to the park.

Here are a few vids of him at the park doing what little boys do best...running, playing and hurting himself.

This was the first time he went down a slide by himself, and on his tummy, no less. You don't actually get to see him go down because I freaked and jumped off the toy to meet him at the bottom. I'll tell you what happened instead -- his shirt came up on the way down, resulting in a wicked slide burn on his belly. He shook it off in a few seconds, but did not like when I busted out the hydrogen peroxide to clean it off at home. Doing so produced a nasty scab and what looks to be a scar he'll have for life. He wears onesie shirts to the park now. This video is from mid-October:

This was a sleepy day at the park...most of the time was spent sitting in the rocks, looking at and saying "moon," and watching airplanes. I can't help but laugh every time he starts putting that rock up to his lips. This was taken the day before Halloween:

This next video is a barrel full of laughs. He's on a steep hill (much steeper than it looks in the video). I recommend you bookmark this one, in case you have a day when you need a good laugh:

Rolin LOVES to wear this monkey on his back. He'll wear it for the better part of a day, if we let him. Sometimes he'll wear it at a store, sometimes to the park. Other times it's just around the house while he rides his truck in the kitchen or plays blocks in the living room. He likes to check out his reflection in the oven when he wears it. This monkey is actually one of those child leashes, but we don't use it as a leash. Right now it's just a source of entertainment for our little boy who has a growing imagination and personality. This video was taken in early November, the day before his eye surgery:

Shortly after I took this video, Rolin fell. He fell hard. He fell flat on his face on the sidewalk. There was blood. Lots (ok, not that much) of blood. I couldn't tell if he put a tooth through his lip, chopped a tooth or lost a tooth...all I knew was I'd never before seen that much blood come pouring out of my baby. I scooped him up and power walked home where I called my dad while I waited for the doctor to call back. Daddy-o suggested a popsicle, which seemed to heal and cheer Rolly right up. In the end, it turned out he just bit his lip pretty good. He was completely healed in a few days. Whew!

If you look closely, you can see his puffy lips. Poor buggy. He was a champ, though. I would have cried harder and longer if it'd been me!

No, the blood didn't come out of my shirt. But that's ok.

1 comment:

MaryJane said...

Josiah used to wear his monkey on his back all around Arizona too. It was like reading about and watching a little Josiah all over again. Thanks for the memory!