Bell peppers and I do not mix.
Don't be me wrong. I love corn on the cob. I like corn kernels as a side dish.
I do not, however, like creamed corn. That's probably because I've only ever had it from a can and I haven't had that since I left the nest for college.
Sure, I'm open to trying your grandmother's creamed corn recipe. You have my email address, go ahead and send it to me.
However, last summer I started adding fresh, just-sliced-from-the-cob corn to my summer salads. Greens, sungold cherry tomatoes (CA peeps...please eat some of these delicious orange cherry tomatoes for me...I can't find them in WA), corn, fresh, mixed greens, blanched green beans, cucumber, various other veggies and a little blue cheese dressing. Oh, and add some steak to that salad...delicious on a summer night!
Justin laughs at me because whenever I actually do eat something with corn in it I always say, "Wow, this actually is good!"
I've been more adventurous with corn as of late, putting it in salads or salsas and such. I even made the following recipe and have been living off it all week.
Instead of serving it just as is, I added a few strips of grilled chicken to the top (thank you, Costco!). For another meal, I put a few scoops on top of salad greens, added chicken and dolloped on a bit of ranch dressing.
I grilled the corn on a grill pan on our stove and that worked just fine. It did take longer than 10 minutes though...I rotated the corn a few times to get some nice grill marks, probably for 15-20 mins, 3 mins per turn.
Grilled Corn & Black Bean
Salad
Recipe via Everyday with Rachael Ray. Serves 4+.
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (I used shredded Monterey Jack instead)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced (pick up more than one to serve with leftovers)
Directions: Preheat a grill
to medium. Add the corn and grill until charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Let
cool completely. (If grilling inside, heat to medium high and grill longer for good grill marks.)

No comments:
Post a Comment