Saturday, November 5, 2011

And Then I'll Sand...

We've slowly but surely been making our home look like it houses adults. Curtains, plants, matching wood stain, pillows.

Thank goodness for Ikea.

We intend to paint an accent wall in the living room, too, but just haven't gotten around to it for a few reasons: $$, we'd have to repaint since we're renting and selecting a paint color is much more stressful than I thought!

It started with curtains and pillows.







We bought the curtains at Ikea, which come with hemming tape (I'm sure there is a name for it, but can't think of it at the moment) so you can iron and shorten to your heart's content. That process took a while, with all the measuring, ironing, measuring, inserting the tape and ironing again, all before trimming the curtains.

Curtains and pillows weren't enough, so we moved onto the coffee table.

We inherited this table from Justin's friend Jason. Jason actually made this in shop class, or so I've been told. It's a good coffee table that's lived in Aberdeen, Pullman, Aberdeen, Shoreline, Lake Forest Park, Mountain View and San Jose. You can see a bit of the old color in my "Royal Wedding" post.

Instead of getting a new one to match our entertainment center (or is it a TV stand?), we decided to sand down and restain ol' trusty in the backyard.



Justin worked and worked to remove the stain, trying different types of sand paper, machines and goop. Just as he turned the table upright to sand the final leg, the leg SNAPPED. Well, it cracked and snapped.

Now, if my next move doesn't prove that I'm my father's daughter, I don't know what does:I ran in for the wood glue and tie-downs.

It took a lot of convincing, but I talked JT into it instead of quitting altogether or running out for a new table. We glued ol' trusty, wrapped the tie downs around the legs and waited for it to dry.




Thankfully it went back together and is as good as new. We just ask that you please do not sit on the table when you come visit.


After the successful sanding and restaining of the table, Justin announced his plans to restain many-a-pieces in the house.

"When I'm done with the table, I'm going to restain the small table in the office, then I'm going to restain the hutch, then the bookcase, then I'm going to...," said Justin.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'd like to discuss these projects with you before you start sanding down all our furniture! I don't want each piece of furniture in the house to be the same color," I replied.

I'm glad I was around for his announcement, or who knows what he would have sanded ;)

We did decide to sand and restain my bedroom dresser. Now it matches the other dresser, side tables and headboard.




Yes, I can garden and drink beer if I want to. I'll even stop gardening to take a picture of Justin painting!



Look out, Team Thompson is growing up before your very eyes.

Before...while we were moving in.

After...we also got a new lamp shade to go with the brown pillows. Crazy, I know.

No comments: