Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Avocados grow like radishes?




We've got a squirrel problem at the homestead. Every morning you can
watch the legendary black squirrel run his routine around the fence
top on the left, up the tree an back down the fence on the right. He's
a busy squirrel!

Since we moved in, I've always found pieces of garbage and toys in the
mulch around the lemon tree. I often ask myself, "How on Earth did
that Lego go unnoticed all this time? Or that spoon, for that matter?
What the heck did the previous inhabitants of this duplex think mulch
was made from? Certainly not Legos, old yogurt containers and
electrical wire...Humm."
Today there was a toy airplane at the base of the tree. I know for a
fact that wasn't there previously. I've spent a lot of time at that
lemon tree!

I also spotted an oddity among the radishes this morning. Someone
planted an avocado in the row, as if it belongs there and was planted
right along with the radishes! Then I spotted a persimmon in a spare
plant pot holding some spare mulch. They're storing up for winter, I
suppose.

My marigolds? Well, they've always been the apparent best-ever
nut-burying trough. The poor things are scratched a new one nearly
daily!

Perhaps it's time to invest in some greenhouse-like plastic covering
or fencing, especially if I don't want avocados displacing my radishes
all winter.

No comments: