The temp has been on the rise over the last few days and I LOVE IT!! It reminds me of summer time at home and I could really use some home time now :) The city where I work is expected to reach 101 today, and Mountain View is holding steady at 90 in the shade, but it's expected to reach 98. Instead of sitting inside where it's getting hotter by the minute, I've been kickin' it on the deck in my swimming suit to keep cool(ish). Yesterday Justin and I spent a little portion of the afternoon poolside at the apartment pool and I swam a few laps. It was a nice way to cool down before we spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out how to cool down the apartment and wishing we hadn't thought the old box fan, though still working, was old and broken enough, to be thrown away in the move. Lesson learned.
Today, Justin is working so I went out myself to catch some rays and take a dip. It was early enough that I was the only one out there, which was nice. After 10 mins a side - yes, that's enough to fry me to a crisp - I jumped in the pool. I waded around in the shallow end for a few minutes and then talked myself into going all the way under. As I drew a deep breath and was under about up to my chin, I saw something on the bottom in the deep end that stopped me mid-submerge.
A lizard.
Oh sweet crap I hopped out of that pool faster than Superman on call. My feet were on fire from the hot cement as I ran for my flip flops and grabbed my towel. I would pay money to watch a replay of that whole sequence - I'm sure it was hilarious to watch. After a minute of staring at the lizzard to figure out if it was alive or dead, I concluded it was alive and definitely crawling closer to the shallow end. So instead of letting the little guy ruin everyone's pool time for the rest of the day, I found the skimmer and went to work on getting him out.
I was successful and dumped him in the bushes. I'm not sure if I hurt him in the process, but he was hissing at me and doing his mad lizzard pushups to show me he meant business. He's probably back in the pool now, getting bigger and telling his friends about the mean girl that skimmed him out. They're likely planning to work together to skim me out of the pool next time I'm in there. Either way, I've called quits on swimming for the rest of the day, and probably until the pool cleaner comes back later this week.
Never a dull moment around here, folks. Ugh.
Oh, which reminds me that I forgot to mention our hot water stopped working Friday night and was out most of Saturday. Seems the boiler for the entire complex went out and the fix-it guys have been busy tinkering away. The hot water in our apartment works now, but we're closer to the boiler than folks at the end of the complex. If you ever want to hear something hilarious, turn off the hot water and tell Justin to take a shower. The water was so cold it was hard to take a deep breath and he got done showering in record time Friday night. Unfortunately, I know what that's like because of a horrible experience in a rental RV during a trip to the Rose Bowl in 2003. Long story short, the rental RV's water tank had a leak which left me with no option but to shower in a communal shower at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center where the hot water was also broken. It's an awesome complex and I had a nice swim there, but the shower experience was not awesome. That was a happy day.
That's all for now!
3 comments:
oh stiney, you crack me up!
I would have gotten out of the pool, too. No matter how it is, I am not swimming with lizards. Drew on the other hand...well, you have seen his love for lizards up close and personal :-)
This cracks me up! I can't beleive there was a lizzard in the pool! And I really can't beleive you fished him out! I definitely would not have done that!
Post a Comment