Today was filled with more unpacking, organizing and the Comcast guy. We're almost done with everything - there are just a few loose odds & ends to find a place for and boxes to throw out. Speaking of throwing out boxes, Justin and I were doing just that this afternoon when we came in contact with someone in our parking lot.
We were flattening boxes and when someone came towards the bin with boxes and other recyclables of their own. There was initial eye contact and the standard unspoken pleasantries, and then he said, "well since you're doing this the right way, I guess I better too!" We all laughed somewhat awkwardly, and then Justin and I looked at each other. We knew exactly what the other was thinking. This is a normal looking dude, implying that he lives with someone, he is about our age, he lives in our complex...could this be a possible new friend-couple??
So I say, "Oh well, we've been filling this up a lot lately because we just moved in!" And he said, "Oh, you're just moving in...we're just moving out, right down the street actually. Where did you move from?"
Moving out... :(
Suddenly I felt like a Doug and Carrie from "King of Queens" when they find out that their one friend-couple found a new friend-couple to hang out with, which led Doug and Kerry to go to Home Depot on a Friday evening in search of another couple to befriend. It didn't turn out well, to say the least. I also had a flash of the "Friends" episode where Monica and Chandler are pumped about their new friend-couple, but it turned out in the end that the new couple had given them a fake number.
So we answer his question about where where from, made a little more small talk, and then (we think anyway) we all three stood there looking like we wanted to say something about getting together later to hang out, grab a beer, have a bbq, etc. But alas...nothing more was said. Off he went, back into the complex, and we went back to flattening our boxes. We never even exchanged names.
Justin later said that at the moment the guy turned to walk away, he had an overwhelming urge to yell out, "Will you be our friend??!"
But he stopped short, thinking: "It's too soon. Too soon."
Maybe someday we'll pass their new place while we're on a walk or perhaps see them at our neighborhood grocery store. Not that we're going to stalk them (similar to what Monica and Chandler did), but there's always hope. HA!
2 comments:
Oh Team Thompson... We know how hard it is to make couple friends. But speaking of that King of Queens episode it was on last night and we saw it for I would bet the fifth time!
Things will get better, I promise!
Oh--so know that feeling! Why is making couple friends so hard?!
Post a Comment