Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Confessions

I managed to do something over the weekend that I never thought I would be able to do. Maybe it was the heat or the fact that he was totally beat from a long week, but while at Blockbuster on our way home from dinner Friday night, I mentioned to Justin that I was somewhat interested in seeing "Twilight."

Usually, when I point at any movie on the shelf that doesn't have a gun or an explosion or some dude dressed up as a spy, Justin lets out an actual whimper and says, "No."

This time, after he'd already picked up "Quantum of Solace" -- the latest in the James Bond series -- we were making our way out when we passed "Twilight." There was no whimper, simply an, "Ok." I stared in disbelief, but didn't stare too long, for fear that he'd realize what "Twilight" actually was.

I think I was surprised enough for the both of us in the fact that I wanted to see "Twilight." I remember driving to work in Seattle last summer/fall when the hosts were talking about a contest to give away premiere tickets. I hadn't heard of the movie before, let alone the books, and remember thinking how funny it was to hear all the girls obsessing about Edward Cullen, the vampire. I also remember thinking it was interesting that this was so popular with young tweens and teens...especially amongst some of the 13 year old girls I knew - I guess I was surprised some of them were even allowed by their parents to read the books or go to the movie since it was dark, mysterious and about vampires. I kept listening to the contest because the books and movie happen to be based in town named Forks, Wash., which is on the Olympic peninsula.

Saturday night we watched "Twilight." I really did like it - in fact, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I watched it again on Sunday when we had run out of things to put away in our apartment. It's not often I get to watch a "girlie" movie. Though, I'm not sure I'd call this girlie??

I'm not much of a reader...I have a huge pile of unfinished books beside my bed. The last book I read cover to cover was
How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (I heard him do a spot on it on my way to work one day and a bit of the book that he read on the radio made me burst into tears...geez...this blog really does reveal where my weaknesses are, doesn't it?). Anyway, on Monday while at work, I decided I would walk to the bookstore near our house after I got home to pick up the first two books in the series.

Once I was home, I quickly changed my clothes, threw on my sunglasses and walking shoes, and headed to town. I walked right into the bookstore, straight past the customer service desk, thinking I would simply find the books in the fiction section.

Not there.

"Well, it is about vampires...which is kind of science-fictional...maybe they're in Science Fiction," I thought to myself.

Not there.

Eager to get the books and head home so I could start reading, I asked the friendly gal at the counter where I could find them. She offered to lead the way and I followed. We walked past the fiction section, past the science fiction section, past the thriller and horror sections and then I noticed her pick up something that was out of place. It was a children's toy. The further we walked, the closer we got to the children's section. Once there, she put the toy back in its place so I thought maybe were taking a quick detour for the toy. Then turned to face a shelf of books...

Ohhh the feeling I had when she pointed at the
Twilight series, sitting out for all to see in the children's section...next to the Babysitters Club and Goosebumps books. I felt like saying, "these are for my...um...14-year-old...cousin." Or, "Oh, is this the altered book with pictures for little eyes or something?" But I didn't. I said thank you, sheepishly, and then shrugged to myself as I justified my decision to read this saga. I knew people in their late 20s who would stay up all night long to read the Harry Potter books when they were the hot new read, but then again so did my bros, who were probably 12 and 14 at the time.

After another minute, I snagged up the first two books scurried up to the front. Smiled without saying much and then I ran upstairs for a latte - a super good latte, by the way - and then beat feet home to sit on the deck and read.

I'm more than half way through the first one already. It's much different than the movie...they haven't even introduced the bad vampires yet, and I'm wondering if/when they will because there aren't that many pages left in the book.


No spoiler alerts here. I'm going to wrap up this post and get back to reading now!

Stop laughing at me :)

5 comments:

Barbara Olmstead said...

HI Team Thompson -- Haven't dropped by your blogspot for a while, and love what you've done with the place! (Apparently we've been watching too much Home & Garden TV around here). It's great to be able to catch up on what's going on in your lives -- almost like having you closer by. I hope there's a way you can print and save them as a journal for yourselves too -- to look at when you've been married 40 years! Enjoy your visit with Maggie and Drew -- miss you lots!
Love, Aunt RahRah and Uncle Pokey

Jeanine said...

Christine! Don't be ashamed. The Twilight books are delightful. It isn't that they are particularly thoughtful or provacative, but that the books are written in a way that you get totally swept up in the plot. I love how mindlessly entertaining they are. When I finished the fourth book, I actually had a tear because I knew I'd have to get back to reality. Enjoy them!

PS. How is Cali? I hope you and Justin are doing well and loving the weather... Seattle is just now starting to perk up.

Best,
Jeanine

The Cox Trio said...

haha, love this post! I must admit I did the same thing with Twilight! I refused to watch it until Holly and Matt come over with it a few weeks ago... While I can't say I loved the movie (which I have watched twice) I did find it very interesting, which is why the book is sitting on our table waiting to be read! Some day during Eli's nap when the house isn't in need of cleaning I'll pick it up and start reading... Love you!

Maggie and Drew said...

Have no fear, you are not alone in your turmoil with the Twilight series. As an avid Harry Potter fan, I was reluctant to read Twilight, but my book club picked it for one of our books and I used it as an excuse to read it. I admit, I have now read Twilight and New Moon. Other peeps from my book club have read all 4 books and are totally hooked! I am pacing myself. I hear if you see the movie first and like it, then you will love the books. I will have to see the movie now I guess! T minus 10 days until we are in SJ!!

Team Thompson said...

I'm almost done with the 4th book...AH! I really have only about 20 pages left, and I have to agree with Jeanine---I think I'll be a little sad to leave the Cullen fam's story and get back to reality.

PS - Jeanine :) Cali is good...still kind of hard to believe we're actually in another state sometimes. I'm pumped about getting the great weather and can't wait to spend some time by the pool at my apartment! I miss Seattle, but def don't miss the gloom. I try not to think about the great summer Seattle weather, though. That just makes me homesick :)