Monday, April 9, 2012

On being the "pregnant one"

A deliciously delightful bonus to having family come visit, except for the loving company, of course, is all the restaurant visits.

If there is one event that reminds me (and likely those dining with or near me) that I'm pregnant, it's dining out. I wouldn't say that I had a large appetite before pregnancy. If I ordered a large sandwich or large-portioned dish, I would usually announce that there was no way I'd finish it, and would then box the remaining half to take it home. Unless it was pizza...I can put away pizza like it's no one's business...anytime, anywhere.

I still think to myself now, "My, that's a big serving of eggs benedict!" or, "There is no way I'll finish this whole sub sandwich, I'll save the other half for tomorrow."

Then the next thing I know, I'm licking the last of the hollandaise from my plate and looking longingly at Justin's last few hash browns to see if he's really going to eat all of them.

And that sandwich...? Not even a little scrap of lettuce or a drop of mayo is left when I'm done with it.

I'm going to miss mayo after BT is born and I go back to my regular diet. Damn you, Jimmy Johns!

So...this all hit me over a couple weekends ago while we were out with Justin's parents for breakfast at the Old European (yes, like the one in Pullman). I'd ordered a tomato & artichoke eggs benedict with hash browns. When most of the crew had finished their meals, I was still working away at mine. Then Curtis announced that one of his remaining Aebelskivers was up for grabs. No one else wanted it (or no one spoke faster than me...I can't remember how it went down), so I said I'd take it.

Then, it happened.

A woman with an infant walked by. Karen said to her, "oh we're going to have a baby too!"

The woman with the infant scanned the table and locked eyes with me.

At first I figured it was because I was of childbearing age.

Then I realized it was because I had shoved my mouthful of eggs benedict AND hash browns equally to both sides of my mouth...looking like a squirrel storing up for winter...all to make room for the Aebelskivers I was hastily sawing in half so I could shove it too in my mouth. Only after I dipped it in the syrup, of course.

That's right...I was so excited about the Aebelskivers that I didn't even bother swallowing the mouthful of MY OWN breakfast before shoveling in MORE FOOD.

Aebelskivers. Sort of like a cross between a donut and a pancake. 
They're simply delightful! Photo via Spokane Workshop blog.

When I realized what I was doing, I started laughing. Then I couldn't stop laughing.

Then I finished the Aebelskivers, swirled a few remaining browns around in the last remaining swatches of hollandaise, shoved them in my mouth and announced I was done eating for the day.

Until about five hours later when it was time for dinner.

1 comment:

mommyneedsanap said...

Love it! I'm impressed you were able to wait a whole 5 hours before dinner!
April