Tuesday, April 3, 2012

30 Rock

This post is VERY late, considering it's from October. If I remember correctly, October was a busy month for us. Justin had a few business trips, I went to WA for a wedding, my parents came for a visit and both Justin and I had a terrible, awful, no good, very bad flu. Not to mention my birthday was sprinkled along in there, and we also went to an awesome Halloween/costume-themed birthday for Heather B!

That, dear readers, is what this post is about.

Justin and I enjoy the show 30 Rock. Justin pointed out long ago that at times it seems I'm quite Liz Lemon-y in my walk, attire and overall approach to situations. At least at home. At work I usually head-scream things like, "Nerds!" "Where's my mac n' cheese?" "What the what?!" and "Shut it down!"

Also, I have more cardigans in my closet than I should admit. Furthermore, I've come to realize, over the last six seasons of the show, that Liz and I have a similar Gap-based wardrobe.

Anyway...

We hemmed and hawed over what to dress as for Heather's Halloween/costume birthday party. At one point I was going to wear a spare lampshade on my head and Justin was going to dress as Brick Tamland from Anchorman because he "loves lamp."

We shut that down.

Then, in the night, it came to me. We would be 30 Rockers. Justin would wear a suit and be Jack while I'd wear what I usually wear, along with my glasses, and be Liz. A few days ahead of the party, we changed our minds because wearing a suit on a Saturday was not what Justin wanted to do. He also wasn't too keen on the idea of shaving off his beard.

30 Rock's Liz and Jack (via)

So we used the beard to our advantage and instead dressed as Liz Lemon and Frank Rossitano.

30 Rock's Frank Rossitano (via)

Selecting a hat phrase was a big decision -- there are many from which to choose. I liked "Extra Cheese" (are you surprised?), another runner-up was "Expert Ninja," but we settled on "Night Beast." I also printed some TGS signs to tape to our clothes, making them more official.


 Justin and me as Liz and Frank

Good thing I'd saved a pair of 3D glasses from our trip to Avatar. They made the perfect accessory! 

The exciting thing? As soon as I opened the door for a guest at Heather's place, the guest guessed, "You're Liz Lemon?!"

And she was right.

We also really liked Brandon's costume. He went as Joaquin Phoenix during his I'm Still Here situation. Pretty good impression if I do say so myself!
Brandon as Joaquin Phoenix from I'm Still Here.

And Heather, the cake master, also made this awesome cake, inspired by Martha Stewart. Heather makes some sweet looking and tasting cakes! It was a great way to end the day.

No comments: