I've learned from working where I work that the North American citrus season is actually in the winter months, not the summer months, which I'd always just assumed. I guess I simply didn't pay attention or care to know when citrus was at its best.
I've also learned that while it's at its best in winter (because colder weather makes for sweeter citrus and better color...to a point; frost isn't good), citrus trees can produce year-round. Back home in Washington, fruit trees only produce once a year, so I assumed we would wait until early next year to be able to harvest from our little lemon tree again.
Wrong.
Around early April I began using lemons a bit more sparingly because I thought we were running low. Then, when my friend Sarah was in town, the tree was suddenly in full bloom.
Holy moley do we ever have a lot of lemons on our hands. New and old.
And I'm a happy camper.





No comments:
Post a Comment