Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Rabes visit their old stompin' grounds

Finally getting around to this post -- November has been a bit nutty for us as Justin started his six-day work weeks about three weeks before Thanksgiving. Also, in all honesty, I spend about 8 hours a day writing articles at work, so when I shut the compy down for the night, I often lack motivation to turn it on and write a blog post. Especially when Justin is at work on Saturdays, leaving me free to sit on the couch with a bowl of mac n' cheese and watch Twilight.

What?

Right, we'll get back to it.

My Aunt Kathy and Uncle Lou Rabe (who live in Illinois) came to visit us in early November. We were part of their travel circuit after they'd spent time with family in Washington celebrating Uncle Lou's retirement from the world of airline piloting. They were also visiting to celebrate Aunt Kathy & Uncle Robert's birthday (they're twins).

The Rabes came to California during the week, so we weren't able to play tourist with them, but we were able to spend the evenings together.

What's fun about the Aunt Kathy and Uncle Lou coming to the Bay Area is that they are quite familiar with this neck of the woods. Aunt Kathy moved down to San Francisco after college and Uncle Lou, retired Navy, used to be stationed at Moffett Field in Mountain View -- which happens to be a stone's throw away from our little place. Small world, eh?

The first night of the trip they came over to our place for dinner and I made Rachael Ray's Winter White Burgers. Now, listen to me when I say this, peeps. This burger is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. You forget how good it us until it touches your lips.

Here's the recipe: Winter White Burger

I use jalapeno jelly, just FYI.

The second night we went to dine at B Street & Vine, a fun little wine and jazz bar in San Mateo, for an evening filled with good conversation, fun appetizers, jazz and wine. We're so grateful the Rabes came to visit us down in California -- it's not often I get to spend 1:1 time with my aunts and uncles so I very much cherish these little moments we spend together.

No comments: