Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oh those summer nights

Summer is half way over, can you believe it? This is probably the first year of my adult life I've felt I didn't have a summer and I've been trying to figure out why. I think it's because we haven't had a good streak of hot, summer-like weather...I love it when it's hot (most of the time) and just thinking about it makes me miss Washington and home sooo much. I'm sure it's also because of the "June gloom" that has stretched itself all the way to August, bringing us dreary, foggy mornings. Oh, and I sit in a building all day with no windows. OK, so there are plenty of reasons now that I've taken time to think about them. However, this also got me thinking about all particulars I miss about summers in Washington.

So, just so I could make you all miss Washington summers, particularly summers in eastern WA, I've put together a list of things I miss most. The majority are from my youth - seeing as that still lays claim to more than half of my years on earth - but some are more recent. Either way, I miss them all.
  • The heat. I've been so cold lately and I realized it's because we haven't had a good streak of hot weather to warm my bones.
  • Hearing Nanny say, "Oh! Look at the sunset!"

  • The dry Horse Heaven and Rattlesnake Hills and the way they'd almost reflect the colors of the sunset

  • Hot summer nights
  • The smell of a freshly mowed orchard
  • BBQs in my parents' backyard with all the family

  • Trail walks with Erin
  • Bike rides with Jeff
  • The smell of Aunt Looie and Uncle Francis' house, swimmin' in their pool and drinking the cream soda and eating the cheese & crackers Nanny would pack for us to snack on during our swim
  • Laying out on the roof or sidewalk to get a little color
  • Lounging around the Rohde's pool during the day
  • Lounging in the Rohde's hot tub at night
  • Water fights in Steven's pool
  • Eating a cherry, peach or pear right off the tree
  • Driving down Frazer and honking at the Olmsteads
  • Hanging out with the little peeps

  • Timing or playing "runner" at Grandview Rotary swim meets
  • Hosing off the patio and chairs before guests arrive for dinner on the patio at my parents house
  • My mom's homemade salsa
  • The "States' Day" parade and fair (on Labor Day) in Prosser

  • Watching the Prosser fireworks from Nanny's backyard on the 4th of July
  • Cherry harvest

  • Working at Homestretch Espresso, not having a care in the world (at the time, I didn't realize how awesome it was to be 17...I had my license, I had a boyfriend -- sorry, dearest -- I had a sweet job at a sweet coffee shop where I got to drink coffee, make coffee and watch movies, I didn't have rent, I owned the car I drove, my mom made me dinner, I didn't have to worry about college applications (yet), I was going to be a senior in high school, I could drive to my friends' houses anytime, I worked at a coffee shop (I know I already said that, but damn I wish I still worked at that coffee shop...that was the life), I had friends with pools...I could go on and on, but I'll stop there and let you trace the trail back to your 17 year-old-life and ponder it's greatness. Sorry if it leaves you depressed).
  • Riding in the 1-ton truck with dad when he takes a load of cherries to town
  • Washing my car in the shade
  • Mowing the lawn (I know it sounds crazy, but I like(d?) to do that)
  • Orchard burn piles, hot dogs and s'mores

  • Family vacations to Eagle Crest in Bend, Ore. or Neskowin, Ore.
  • The Prosser Wine & Food Fair
  • Sunsets in Pullman
  • Thunder storms

  • Seeing a weather report with highs in the upper 90s all week
  • Mom's homemade ice cream (which reminds me I have an ice cream maker I should get out of the storage unit)
  • The Grandview parade and fair - especially working the Rotary corn booth
  • Starting the irrigation pump so we could turn on the yard and orchard sprinklers
  • Outdoor movies at Redhook in Woodinville
  • Walks around Greenlake
  • Driving to Ellensburg to hang out with Sarah
  • Roof top parties at our apartment overlooking Lake Union

I'm sure I'll think of more. I'll leave you to your reminiscing about how awesome it was to be 17.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I say we quit our jobs and work at a coffee place. You should get on that. :-)

MaryJane said...

Great post. I miss life in The Valley, too. Love the pics.

The Cox Trio said...

WhooHoo! I made it onto your list. You're right, being 17 was pretty sweet... Hope that you are able to find some hot weather this summer, if not hope on a plane and come see us in Monroe, it was 80 today.

Maggie and Drew said...

Love the post! A lot of my favorite childhood memories involve eastern WA as well. Love Aunt Looie's pool and the cream soda. I swear I can remember the smell of her house and backyard!! You could add one more to the list: Cherry Camp with Mags!! (not to make your post about me, but we had some pretty great times during those summers!!). Loving you Mi Prima!!