Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We're headed home!

Thank you all for your prayers, messages and phone calls during dad's prep, surgery and recovery. He moved out of ICU on Sunday and gets to go home today (Tuesday)!

Dad ended up with a 5-way bypass. The doctor added in one extra for good measure, just as he did with mom. Mom, with her 7 bypasses, is still ahead -- however, I'm not writing that as a challenge. Eat your vegetables and go for a jog, peeps!

The doctors say he's recovering wonderfully, and we couldn't ask for more. He's still in a bit of pain and pretty weak, but he's getting better every day. Today he did some stairs, showered and is now in his going home clothes...some soft v-neck shirts and lounge pants. This is a different look for him, considering I don't believe I've ever seen him in anything other than a button down shirt with a collar. Ok, yes, he does wear the occasional polo shirt. Either way, he's always got a collar on his shirt!

This is his heart pillow. It's given to all heart patients as something to wrap their arms around while getting up or coughing...it's basically something to hold so you don't get carried away using your arms and disrupt the sternum healing process. It also doubles as a cast or memorabilia item people can sign when they come visit. This side was reserved for the doctors and nurses.

I'll follow up with a post I think I'll call the Chronicles of Hospital & Home Recovery sometime soon, but I'll leave you with this. Dad sure does know how to charm the nursing staff!

1 comment:

Maggie and Drew said...

Hope the journey home went well yesterday. Isn't it amazing that you can be sent home less than a week after heart surgery! Here's to a speedy recovery!!