Last night I got home and parked in the area close to building so I would have a reason to go outside again…the intention was for me to change my clothes and go to the gym. I knew it’d be hard for me to do so after getting in the house.
Instead, when I went inside, I grabbed a bag of chips, stood in front of the heater, ate the chips and said out loud to myself, “Just go to the gym. But I don’t want to go to the gym. If you go to the gym you can have mac n’ cheese when you come home. Just go to the gym. I don’t want to go to the gym.”
Finally I changed and went to the gym.
When I got home I did the blasted dishes.
For dinner I reheated the last turkey patty and made another Winter White Burger…a spin at the gym always makes me feel better and less lazy so I was able to talk myself out of making and eating an entire box of mac n’ cheese.
Then I flopped on the couch, watched “Modern Family,” ate my turkey burger and then stared at the wall for a little bit. I told you that would happen.
Then I went in the kitchen to see if I could find a snack. I found the chocolate frosting and grabbed a spoon.
Then I flipped through the channels and discovered that “Steel Magnolias” was on Oxygen. It was half over, but I watched it anyway. I also cried, like I always do. It’s funny…I’ve watched this movie at least once a year since I was 14, when I first watched it at my friend Heather’s house, and every time I watch it I pick up on something new. I also feel more for M’Lynn even though I’m not a mom.
I also laughed like I always do, especially when Ouiser turned around after being presented as a punching bag for M’Lynn and yelled at Clariee, “You are a pig from hell!” I am not ashamed to admit I thought Ouiser was “Weezer” until just now when I looked it up out of curiosity. Her name is Louisa, or “Ouiser,” apparently. I didn’t grow up in the South, y’all.
When the last half of the movie was over I watched the first half because the movie aired back to back. Convenient, if I do say so myself
Then I thought about this as blog fodder, brushed & flushed (that’s for you, Lins) and got in bed to wait for my Justin to call.
Oh movies at Heather’s. It’s what filled my weekends as a tween. We watched a lot of movies at her house, on the floral couch, wrapped in blankets…when we weren’t eating turkey bagels with lots of pickles, painting our finger nails, naming the new kittens, prank calling boys or putting together different concoctions of food and herbs for in-home facials using ‘recipes’ from American Girl or Seventeen.
Heather, when come visit, make sure you bring “Little Women” and all the other movies I’m sure your mom still has in the basement. You’ll need to bring a VHS player, too :)
2 comments:
I am so proud of you. I'm darn sure that after pomising myself an entire box of mac & cheese, I would have had to follow through on the promise!
Steeney, your posts make me laugh out loud! Miss you around these parts!
Post a Comment