Monday, April 19, 2010

Team Thompson Cooks

I subscribe to a few foodie magazines: Every Day with Rachael Ray, Martha Stewart's Everyday Food and Sunset...I've limited myself to three, well two and a half...I count Sunset as the half, because I like to keep the magazine around for ages, no matter if I've torn out all the recipes I want to try -- even if I've torn out so many that I'm left with only a front and back cover! I get the other, more hardcore, foodie publications, such as Bon Appetit, as bonuses at work. I rip those, too, to shreds.

Special thanks goes out to my MIL Karen for renewing my subscriptions for my birthday!

I tear out the recipes and then tape them in different spiral notebooks. The notebooks are then filed, according to different categories (main course, appetizer, drinks, party themes, desserts, etc.) in a fun filing box I got at Target last year while unemployed and living in an RV.

Slowly but surely we're making our way through the spirals. A few weeks ago we finally made Rachael Ray's Winter White Burger when I magically found all the necessary ingredients had made it to my kitchen. Unless you're one of my adult family members who have regular get-togethers where one of the entertaining staples is jalapeno jelly, cream cheese and crackers, jalapeno jelly isn't something you usually keep around. However, knowing it was featured in one of my spiral recipes, I picked some up at the store a few months back.

Justin and I LOVED this recipe. We loved it so much that I have "pear" written on the back of my left hand so I remember to pick one up before I head home tonight because we're having them again! I recommend you try them out, too!

Winter White Burger
From
Every Day with Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds ground turkey breast
  • 4 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 ripe Bartlett pear, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (I used an Irish cheddar from Kerrygold)
  • 4 tablespoons hot pepper jelly or jalapeƱo jelly
  • 4 extra-large English muffins, split and toasted

Directions:

  1. In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, scallions, mustard, lemon peel and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.

  2. In a small nonstick skillet, add the pear slices, wine, lemon juice and enough water to just cover the pear. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the pear is softened, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pear slices to a plate.

  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the turkey patties and cook, turning once, for 12 minutes. Top with the cheese and pear slices, tent the pan with foil and cook until the cheese is melted, 2 minutes.

  4. Spread 1 tablespoon hot pepper jelly on each English muffin bottom; top with a patty and an English muffin top.


1 comment:

Maggie and Drew said...

Despite my husband's strong aversion to pears, I may try and sneak this one by him and try it out. The recipe sounds delish! YUM!!