Monday, April 26, 2010

The nerve!

My boss did the most horrible thing last week.
He booked a night for Justin and me, for free, at a bed & breakfast in Half Moon Bay.
Can you think of a more horrible thing for a boss to do? The nerve!

The weather was to be about 70-75 F and the bed & breakfast was said to deliver breakfast to your room. Fresh fruit, coffee, a banana orange smoothie, champagne (if you wish), a warm croissant and a “cheese delight” blintz.

It just keeps getting worse.

And they’ll bring you a cheese, cracker and fruit tray any time you want! Ugh!


The reason he booked us a room was so I could do a write up for our e-newsletter as we’re holding a contest for our customers. Whoever brings in a new customer is eligible. Bring in a new customer and that new customer will be entered to win a free one night stay for four, so two rooms total, at the bed & breakfast that they’re able to use at their leisure.

So, what I’m really saying is: you should move to California so I can introduce you to our store. That way you can win the contest and we can all go back to the B&B for free!


We had a fun little get away at the B&B. It’s right down town next to all the quirky shops, restaurants and coffee shops. We walked to Pasta Moon for dinner, it was about a 2 minute walk, where I chose the diver scallop spaghetti (five large scallops, melted green garlic, chives, grapefruit zest, fennel pollen, toasted pistachios) from the menu, while Justin enjoyed linguine manila clams (manila clams, pancetta, leeks, garlic, red pepper flakes, clam broth, Italian parsley). We later retired to the bar for a night cap where we discovered one of the crew was someone we knew.

“What? How,” you ask. “California is big and you guys stay in your apartment all the time!”


It’s true. We saw someone we knew who we didn’t know would be there. We were pretty excited about randomly choosing a place for dinner and running into someone we knew. We thought we were pretty cool at that point. Who wouldn’t want to know us?!

Justin nearly passed out in the hot tub after we got back to the B&B. He’d had a hard week and was exhausted. And the night cap didn’t help. I thought he was joking, but when he didn’t open his eyes for a good minute, I helped him out and tucked him in bed.
Breakfast was delivered, as promised, in the morning. It came complete with champagne and was free of bell peppers (I’m allergic). Then we walked through town, drove to the Half Moon Bay Brewery for lunch outside where my scalp got sunburned (but I’d do it again in a heart beat – the weather was perfect!) and then we headed home.
Once we were home we did what we always do on the weekend. Popped in Sopranos, ate dinner and sat on the couch until it was time for bed.

Now, I need to pull my head out of the weekend fog and start working on the B&B article for work. The whole reason we went in the first place. The boss…what a guy!

1 comment: