Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tabbity Tab Tabs

Unless you have an extra thousand bucks laying around, or you just love paying your state money...just because...do not, and I repeat, do not move to California and say to yourself, "oh, we'll take care of the registration when it's time to get new tabs."

Last Monday morning, Justin and I were punched in the face by the DMV.

As a favor, I'll say this now so you can save your breath: This is our fault. Completely ours. However, I'm still going to blog about it. For your reading pleasure, of course.

We finally went to take care of our registration last Monday as the tabs on one of our rides is about to expire. We knew there would be some fees involved because we put it off, BUT we didn't know they'd make us pay two years of fees because we moved to California A YEAR ago. Yes, two years of fees for two cars. Ouch.

Here's the kicker. The woman at the DMV asked me at least four times, in the most monotone voice ever, if I did in fact move into an apartment in the state of California on April 1. I thought she was trying to get me to say, "well, we signed a lease on March 12 and my parents moved the RV back to WA on the 18th and then a week later our stuff came."

No, she was trying to get me to lie so I wouldn't receive two years worth of fines. Thanks for being so obvious, lady.


Justin was at a separate window and finished updating the other registration before me. He had gone through the same thing. In the end, both of us agreed we'd feel better if we just did the right thing. I'm not a fan of guilty conscience, even to save $500 - seriously - and Justin busts liars and thieves for a living. We knew we brought this upon ourselves...

...and really did think the DMV would do a little fact checking. You know, like asking for a copy of your lease or first pay stub...

No wonder the state is broke. The DMV encourages people to lie so they don't have to pay fines. I thought government entities loved taking people's money?! It was nice of the lady to "offer." We've decided we have to stay in California for at least a year now, you know, to get our money's worth.

(@&^$(!^(%)@(*!*(&^~)*(_$(_%*&)&

No comments: