Monday, August 31, 2009

Ted Kennedy Jr. remembers his father

I watched Ted Kennedy Jr. speak at his father's funeral while at the gym Saturday (yes, there are TVs on the equipment at our gym). I thought it was a wonderful, encompassing and moving tribute to Sen. Kennedy, and one part in particular stuck with me. Ted Jr. was talking about when he and his father were going sledding the winter after he had his leg amputated due to cancer. Climbing the hill was no easy task for Ted Jr., but his father taught him an important lesson that day:
"You see, my father taught me that even our most profound losses are survivable and it is what we do with that loss, our ability to transform it into a positive event, that is one of my father's greatest lessons. He taught me that nothing is impossible."
His speech in its entirety can be found here.

1 comment:

Maggie and Drew said...

They had this on at the nail place while I was getting a pedicure on Saturday. I hadn't planned on watching it, but since it was on, I did. It was really moving and he did a great job. Both the sons that gave eulogies did a really nice tribute to their father.