Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Team Thompson = official residents of Cali

So...after putting off particular things that should be done when one moves (changing your address, registering your vehicles, changing your voter's status, etc.), I was summoned for jury duty back in Washington. Thus, the madness began.

I figured it would take a simple phone call to the admin in WA to explain that we were now living in CA and it would be difficult/impossible to do jury duty at the end of the month. Instead of getting a dismissal, I was
told that I had to send a copy of my new license showing my new address in order to maybe get out.

"So [insert nervous laugh] I don't have a new license yet..." I said.

"Well in WA you have 10 days to change your address after you move, ma'am. I'm sure your new state has similar rules, so you're going to need to take care of that, aren't you," the admin said.

So instead of getting a dismissal, I was
reprimanded for not taking care of business within the allotted time frame and basically told that whatever the situation I created for myself, someone with my name had better show up at the end of the month or send in a copy of a new license so they can be dismissed.

Shizz.

So Justin and I crammed last night, studying the CA driver's guide and taking the practice tests. Let it be known that the practice tests are nothing like the real test. They don't ask you, "when approaching the top of a hill that you can't see over, should you a). stop, pull over, turn on your hazard lights and wait for police assistance, b). slow down, honk your horn and proceed slowly, or c). slow down and summit the hill carefully. But I digress.

We woke early and arrived at the DMV at 8 a.m., along with about 125 other people - no joke - to stand outside in line waiting for the doors to open. Once the door opened, we were still standing in a line outside which grew and grew. DMVs are busy places, but I've never ever seen one this busy before.

Three hours later we had filled out all the appropriate paper work at the appropriate window and had finished the written test. Justin, being the speedy test taker he is finished before me, just like he would in college. He passed, took his pic and went outside to wait. I just about let my nerves get the best of me during the test, but I passed. Whew!

Now, all I need to do is send in a copy of my temp license, wait, and see. Then we need to take care of changing our car registration. Oh. And my name on the titles. Details, details.... whoopsie.

It's true, the devil is in the details.

2 comments:

The Cox Trio said...

I was fully expecting a picture of your new license at the end of this post... disappointment.

Team Thompson said...

Haha - I'm not about to give all the freaks and ID theives that info!