Justin has been putting in his time on Sundays lately, so while he ventures off to work, I've been venturing out myself. A few weeks ago I decided to just drive around on side roads to see if I could find an easier way to get to work -- one that avoids freeways where all the crazies are in the morning. I found one, but that wasn't the most exciting part about that day.
Instead, while driving back home knowing Justin would still be at work, I decided I'd get a pedicure to pass the time. I don't know of any pedi places in the area, but we all know there are many around and they usually take walk-ins. I passed a place in Palo Alto called Happy Feet Spa, assumed it was a place where services focus on feet, and flipped around to run inside to ask about open spots.
I was quickly asked to whisper while I took in my surroundings - this was not your typical pedicure place. The reception area was very simple, crisp and white. There were no TVs playing old soap operas, magazines or nail polishes. The room behind the desk was dark and filled with lazy-boy-looking chairs. Some were filled with people laying completely reclined and covered in towels. I whispered to the man I was interested in a pedi and that I didn't have an appointment. He pointed for me to go to the back corner and have a seat -- I didn't understand completely what he said, but I was glad they had time to fit me in. Soon, someone delivered a bucket of hot water for a foot soak, and then about 5 mins later, they reclined my chair and started in on a scalp massage.
"Wow, this is nice," I thought to myself. "Maybe they just want you really relaxed." Next, she moved to my arms and then shoulders. "Crap...," I thought then. "This is going to cost way more than a pedicure...I don't look forward to telling Justin about the cost $$$$$$$..."
About a half hour later she had me flip over for a back rub, where again she started with the head and then moved on to my back. I decided if it was outrageously expensive, I'd put it on my credit card. Then I began to wonder about that pedicure... Eventually she moved onto the feet/legs, but never whipped out a pedicure kit. Ha!
About an hour after I sat down, she declared she was done and brought me a glass of water. I looked around the room and there was another woman a few chairs away that had a look on her face that was similar to mine. It looked like, "WTF did I just stumble into and how much is this going to cost me??!!"
I walked up to the front and scoured the room for a pricing poster as I pulled out my credit card. "Cash only," said the receptionist.
"Ha uhhh Aaaa haha, I don't have cash..." I said. "How much is it?"
"Twenty-five," he said. "There is an ATM down the street at the gas station."
"Pardon me," I said. "Twenty-five, twenty-five? Ok, I'll be right back."
I walked down the street laughing hysterically because I just got a one-hour massage for $25 when I thought I'd get a pedicure for at least $30, plus a tip. I got more than I needed from the ATM because I was still sure I had misunderstand him. But no, it was still $25 when I left.
Turns out Happy Feet Spa is a service where "reflexologists use a series of pressure techniques to stimulate specific reflex areas on the feet and hands with the intention of invoking a beneficial response in other parts of the body.
While Justin was working yesterday, I drove out to Half Moon Bay to sit at the beach and check out the little town. Not quite as exciting as an hour massage, but it was a nice trip. I was lonely by myself though - next time I'm definitely taking Justin!
It doesn't look all that nice, but it was a warmish day and if you look at the far right of the photo, you can see blue sky. It was just the beach that was covered in fog.

3 comments:
UMMM I'm sooo visiting you and we are going to Happy Feet!
I was laughing out loud at this story because I can totally picture you looking around wondering what the heck is going on!! Too funny. Add it to the list for the next time we visit.
Oh I want to come visit and get a cheap rub down! Seriously though, I want to visit!!! Maybe I'll just surprise you sometime and be on your doorstep... nah, I couldn't keep a secret like that! :-)
Post a Comment