Thursday, July 30, 2009

Team Thompson does the Gilroy Garlic Festival

To celebrate our first year, Justin and I went to the Garlic Festival in Gilroy. It probably doesn't sound very exciting or romantic -- garlic does make one stink, after all...I know for sure Uncle Don would NOT be happy about hanging out with someone who'd been to the Garlic Festival! :) -- but I've been looking forward to this festival since we got a packet of visitor information/attractions our first day at the RV park. For a foodie like me, the idea of celebrating a much-loved and practically necessary ingredient is the ideal day. This day (well, series of days) just happened to fall on our anniversary weekend. It was too hot to eat most of the food (like calamari, potato skins, shrimp, pastas, etc) but we did stand in line for about 20 mins to get a scoop of the famous garlic ice cream. I got vanilla-garlic and Justin opted for the non-garlic infused black cherry (what a party pooper - jk). I shoveled in about 3 spoonfuls before I stopped to take a breath - it was cold and refreshing - but also disgusting! Everyone stands in line to try it, and everyone throws it away before it's gone. That taste stays with you, let me tell ya. Thank goodness for the UP booth from Target...they were promoting their line of mouthwashes. Now that was refreshing. So was the extra-large cup of ice cold Pepsi for me and Mountain Dew for Justin., but only for about 1/3 of the way gone though...then we got the upset tummy syndrome from trying to drink too much soda.
After the festival we worked our way back up to good ol' Morgan Hill where we decided on El Toro (named after El Toro Summit - the peak towering over Morgan Hill) for our favorite burger and a brew. We had a fun 1 year celebration and look forward to many many more!

No comments: