Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Aberdeen Visit

It's been years since both Justin and I were in Aberdeen at the same time. Like four years. Four! Aberdeen is just a long way from everything.

We finally made the trek a few weeks ago as a family of three. The trip was long. As I said, Aberdeen is a long way from everything; with a baby in tow, it's even longer. We could have let him sleep the entire way, and would have made it in about seven hours, but then we would have had a very hungry and very energized 7-month-old baby on our hands. Bedtime would have been ugly. 

Yellow dot: Aberdeen. Red dot: Spokane. It's definitely an "over and through the woods" trek to get to grandma's house!

On our last stop, just 45 miles from our destination, things ended up getting ugly anyway. It was rainy, windy and cold (surprised?). We stopped at a gas station to change and feed Rolin. The cold air on baby's bottom triggered a pee storm. When we thought we had things cleaned up, we tried again. Another pee storm ensued. I flew into action, but my actions were too hasty and I knocked a half-prepared bottle (read: lid not screwed on) over and onto the driver's seat. Pretty much the worst seat to dump a bottle onto, right? 

Thankfully, Justin and I just sort of laughed at what had happened. There was nothing we could do about what had transpired besides clean it up, make another bottle, burp the baby and get back on the road. Oh,  memories! 

A few pics from the trip:
Ceiling fan!

Grandpa has waited years to read The Animals of Farmer Jones to a little one again

Rolin liked it. 

Karen and I took Kate, my soon-to-be sister-in-law, out on Sunday for brunch and pedicures in Olympia...a mini bridal shower, if you will. I enjoyed the heck out of my child-free pedicure and just about fell asleep on our way to Curtis' house. It was a fun girls' day celebrating Kate. You'll just have to believe me that it happened because I have no photos to prove it. #SILfail!

Here's a pic of the happy couple, for good measure:

They're getting hitched June 1st!

Monday was a day of relaxing around the house and running errands around town as the grandparents took the day off to hang out. The boys had talked their parents into getting a new TV over the weekend (and we gave them our Wii), so of course they convinced their parents they also needed other new gadgets to make their immersion into the world of flat screens complete.

We also had Justin's car detailed (read: had the driver's seat steam cleaned to get the stink out).

Classic Lee.

Watching grandpa mow the lawn. It was also unexpectedly sunny and warm Monday, also known as everybody-mow-your-lawns day.


We went to visit Grandma Karen on Tuesday at her school. She was very excited to introduce Rolin to her co-workers and friends. He was the hit of the lunch room! We almost went to Forks afterward (nerd alert!) because we had nothing better to do, but seeing as though it's at least a two-hour drive away, we decided to do it another time. Instead, we went around the south side of the harbor to have lunch at the Westport Winery -- a surprisingly nice venue with delicious lunch...and wine! We'll be back for sure! It was raining (surprised?) so we took our time at lunch and perused the gift shop before heading to the beach. 

Washington's tallest lighthouse. 

Raining, cold, windy, but I haven't touched the ocean since we left California, so I braved the elements and went out anyway. I scored about eight whole sand dollars too!

You're allowed to drive on the beach in this area of the state. The sand is considered the Pacific Highway. You just have to be smart and not get stuck or sucked into the ocean. 

We left for home Wednesday, but we'll be back in the harbor for Curtis' wedding before we know it. Some 45 or so days from now, if I'm not mistaken! 

No comments: