Wednesday, September 19, 2012

8 weeks and 5 years


When did it get to be the middle oh September? I have almost no recollection of August...those days flew by in a blur of poopy diapers and feeling like a dairy cow. The middle of September always sneaks up on me, new infant in the house or not...

Sept. 18th marked five years since Matt died. I think of Matt every day, though the last couple years it's only dawned on me that it's Sept. 17-18 (it was the 17th in the US, the 18th in Iraq) when I see that someone updated their Facebook image to a picture of a "Matt-tat" they inked on their arm, or when sweet friends and family reach out to let us know they're thinking of and praying for our family this week -- thank you to all of you! Your love and appreciation mean so much.

It's hard to believe it has been five years since we learned he had died. So much has happened since then. So much. Again, I think of Matt daily, but when this time of year rolls around I can still recall all the emotion of that day and the weeks that followed, including the literal, tight heartache that camped deep in my chest for months afterward.

Though the initial pain of loss has subsided a bit over the years, I think that the Lord still sneaks in the realization it's this time of year again as a means of emotional and heart protection; a blessing that's most definitely a result of the prayers you've said for us. Thank you!

Whew, that all came out unexpectedly, but it's my blog so I write what I want :)

Now, prepare yourself for the the most segue-less transition you'll read today...possibly ever.

Or is it transition-less segue? Segue-less segue? Either way:

Rolin is eight weeks old!

All about Rolin:

  • Hates, HATES! a wet diaper
  • Finds things funny only once. Should you try to reproduce a moment that mere seconds earlier had produced a grin, R looks at you with a blank stare.
  • Loves stretching and arching his back back so far he is practically upside down. Interrupt this stretching routine and you'll be sorry.
  • Enjoys a long nap after breakfast.
  • Sleeps through the night. Yahoo!
  • Happier than a clam during bath time.
  • Has nearly doubled his birth weight.
  • Grows razor-sharp finger nails.
  • Giggles in his sleep.
  • Dances to "Call Me Maybe." (video coming soon)
  • Has super sensitive skin like his mama :(
  • Is the only one out of the three of us that is awoken by Justin's alarm...this is a problem.
  • Has a new crop of "peach fuzz" up top.
  • Is on the verge of smiling.  

2 comments:

MaryJane said...

It's funny how loss can sneak up on you. One day I was getting out if my car for work and I thought "Oh my gosh, my mom died." Even though it had been almost 10there years, it felt like it had just happened. Just a quick flash, but there just the same.

On the other hand, someone has to hear Justin's alarm so he can wake Justin up. A baby is the world's best alarm...too bad tou can't set it when you want it to go off! Laughed out loud at that.

Maggie and Drew said...

Well said, my dear!