Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Salad Week: Day 2

Last night's salad was another Rachael Ray dish, this time it was the Green Harvest Couscous salad. Mom...I'm sure you remember the night you made couscous...so when Justin spotted it on our counter you can imagine the look on his face. Pure unhappiness... :) I used Lebanese couscous though. It's much bigger than itty bitty couscous.

Well, wouldn't you know, JT was lucky enough to have to go back to work last night so he got off easy with a non-salad snack before he left. I made it for myself though - I'm not sure I'd saute the zucchini next time, but I liked it! I used feta instead of goat cheese because, try as I might, I just don't like goat cheese. It's the aftertaste...

Here's the recipe:

Green Harvest Couscous











Ingredients:

  • One 10-ounce box couscous
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • One 5-ounce package baby arugula, chopped
  • 1/2 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and chopped
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup pecans (about 4 ounces), toasted and chopped
  • 8 ounces goat cheese crumbles

Nice serve
Take the meal outdoors and use lettuce wraps instead of plates.

Directions:

  1. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the couscous and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon peel and lemon juice, then fluff with a fork.

  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook until golden, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

  3. In a large bowl, combine the couscous, zucchini, arugula, cucumber, scallions, pecans and half of the cheese; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining cheese.


1 comment:

Maggie and Drew said...

You are making some of the fanciest salads I have ever hear of! I am really impressed! When you said "salad week" I was thinking more like: taco salad, Cesar salad, but definitely not cuscus! Keep the great recipes coming.