Tuesday, July 8, 2014

In summer...

Me: Oh, I don't know why, but I've always loved the idea of summer, and the sun, and all things hot! 
Any Phoenician: Really? I'm guessing you don't have much experience with heat? 
Me: Nope! But sometimes, I like to close my eyes and imagine what it'd be like when summer does come...a drink in my hand...my snow (-colored skin) up against the burning sand, probably getting gorgeously tan in summer.

You may recognize this dialogue from the particularly popular children's movie Frozen.

It's the convo between a Christof, a Nordic ice gatherer, and Olaf the snowman. It's the snowman who hasn't ever experienced real heat.

Guys, I'm like the snowman! I thought growing up in eastern Washington, where temps would reach the low 100s on occasion, had prepared me. I thought spending some time in Australia, where summer had started to settle in by the time it was for me to leave, had prepared me even more.

Friends of mine will even tell you I've said, "I like it hot. I like to know my bones are warm!"

It's true. I prefer heat to cold.

However.

It's hot here. Like, really hot. All. The. Time. At 1 a.m. it's 90F. At 5 p.m. it's 109F. It's been this way for more than a month and it's only going to get hotter.

You know when you're outside and it's hot, but then you feel a breeze start up and you think, "Oh, good! A breeze!" You'll think the same here, but then you'll start crying when you realize the breeze is blowing hotter air.

I'm so grateful we live in a home with AC. There are also pools (aka luke warm community baths) in our neighborhood, which have helped to un-swell my feet a couple times.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like it here in Arizona, I'm just done telling myself it's not too hot. It's hot. And being pregnant makes me feel even hotter. We're also in monsoon season, which makes for significant and state-wide thunderstorms. These storms cause humidity, as well as dust storms, called haboobs. They're pretty intense!

Like I said, I'm glad we've found a few ways to (sorta) beat the heat!

This video is from more than a month ago, when I filled up an inflatable baby bathtub so Rolin could splash around outside:


Sharing the tub this time, and enjoying popsicles. 

No comments: