This lovely lady, who I called Nanny, was 93 years old. She had a happy spirit, a knack for making scrambled eggs, red hair up until about six months ago, a cast-iron stomach and, when possible, a spring in her step. Even when her arthritis ached.
Today, Rolin and I are having raspberries for breakfast in her honor. If it wasn't supposed to be 103F at 8 p.m. tonight, I would consider making Nanny's sour cream potatoes for dinner.
I have many memories of Nanny, and I know some of you do too. You can share them in the comments, if you'd like :). One that is coming to mind for me know is when I helped Nanny get rid of the stray cat that was camping out at her house. We put the cat in a box (picture that, if you will: me, a tolerater of animals, and Nanny, with her arthritic hands, also a tolerater of animals) and took it down to a park far away from her house. In the end, we felt bad about doing so, but were proud of our accomplishment. However, if I'm not mistaken, the cat found its way back to her house!
I also hope to never forget the excited way she'd say, "Chris! How are you!?" when I'd call, and the particular way she said, "Bye bye" when we'd end our convo.
Meeting little Rollybug.
Old hands, new hands.
While Justin was snapping picture after picture, we pretended to be hair models here by whipping our hair back and forth. Nanny really got into it!
A final note here: The Evans clan experienced two losses this week. One expected, and another completely unexpected. The latter was a cousin's (a second cousin of sorts) son who has gone too soon. As a momma my heart breaks, and as a sister my heart aches as I know all too well the pain they feel. Please say a prayer for them to feel the peace of God who will help carry them through this.




No comments:
Post a Comment