Justin and I drove up to the Sunriver Resort on July 13 after I hit "send" on my newsletter at work. It took us all night, but the feeling you have when you're on vacation is fantastic, not matter how far away the destination may be.
We packed up everything but the kitchen sink.
One of the Buttes near Mt. Shasta in Northern California.
Fire in the sky in Oregon, just beyond the border.
The Oregon scenery. I love all the colors the sun creates in this picture. Click picture for a larger image.
We stayed in one of the huge resort cabins with an awesome kitchen and every other amenity you may hope for. Plus, it was set back a ways from the busy resort area so it was more like a mountain lodge. We loved it!
Lots of space and lots of windows. It was so fun to be in the same house with everyone instead of everyone parting ways to go to individual hotel rooms. Click picture for a larger image.
We hit the road running Thursday with a bike ride through the resort. We also stopped by the resort's nature museum and got lots of fresh air.
Discussing route options -- many to choose from at Sunriver.
The Thompsons
The museum had lots of stuffed animals for us to say "hello" to during the tour. Say hello to Mr. Owl and Mr....well...we can't remember what this creature is. Ha!
Interest point #1 at the nature museum: one of the ponds surrounding an island that's home to one of the bald eagles. GO USA!
A grass land area that was once a lake scraped out as a result of the glaciers. This was one a popular cattle grazing ground. If I were a cow (well, I'd be a heifer), I'd want to graze here. Wouldn't you? Click picture for a larger image.
Justin and I could hear the Fred Meyer calling our name from Bend so we all took an afternoon drive into town to stock up on foods for the week. We enjoyed time on the deck in the evening, soaking up the (blinding...see exhibit A) sun.
Exhibit A.
After dinner we headed back to the Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory to visit the observatory and attend the star viewing program. I had done this once with my family years ago and have great memories from the night, so it was fun to go back.
Picture from the observatory site.
There are several massive telescopes the staff points toward different night sky features, such as the moon, Saturn and Mars. There was also a slide show about meteors where we got to touch real chunks of rock/minerals from space.










No comments:
Post a Comment