I have 7 days to kick a habit.
A habit I’ve had all my life.
I bite my nails.
The only time I managed to stop was right before my wedding. I wore a rubber band on my wrist and snapped myself anytime I realized I was biting my nails. I guess the wedding was motivation, but as soon as it was over, so was the rubber band snapping and soon my nails were gone again.
The reason I have given myself 7 days is because today is 7 days away from my 28th birthday. My mom has always said she had a habit of biting her nails when she was young, but stopped when she was 28. Her reason: she got engaged at 28 and didn’t want people looking at her ring and then turning up their nose at her short fingernails that had obviously been destroyed by her own teeth.
Whenever mom would tell me the story about how it took a ring at age 28 for her to stop, I would simply reply, “well I have ___ years left then!”
Well, D Day has arrived. It’s time. I can no longer cling to my last “reasonable” justification for a bad habit I believe developed in the womb.
We’ve tried the liquid you paint on your nails that burns and leaves a horrible taste in your mouth if you bite. We’ve tried scraping a bar of soap (a Grandma Chris recommendation), but my nails were barely long enough to do much scraping. We’ve even tried bribes…my mom offered me $10 a fingernail if I could grown them out and keep them that way for a certain amount of time. We’ve tried all sorts of tricks, tips, punishments and bets.
So, with the 28th in sight, I have painted my nails to help me out in this all-or-nothing attempt to stop. I’ve already repainted my two pointer fingers and as you’ll note from the pictures below, I’ll need to repaint them again tonight.
These were taken at 11:44 a.m. this morning. I’m going to post pictures from time to time to help hold myself to my challenge.
Wish me and my 10 buddies luck.


2 comments:
Good luck!! I know you can do it this time :-)
haha, if Eric were to do this he would only have nine buddies...
Post a Comment