Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What a load of bologna

During a quick trip to the grocery store Monday night, Justin and I spent an unusual amount of time perusing the deli meats. We get meats for sandos about every other trip to the store...yet I somehow manage to forget that I threw out what we purchased previously because it expired before we used it.

I don't know what it is about the idea of sandwiches that makes us buy deli meat. I take leftovers to work for lunch or throw a bunch of odds and ends in a tortilla, and Justin's boss usually gets the team lunch, so there really isn't a need for sandwich makings. Or bread, for that matter, but we'll talk about that another time. There is just something about sandwich meats that calls our name and makes us think there will be a beautiful, already prepared sandwich waiting for us in the fridge in the morning.


Reality seemed to smack us square in the face while looking at deli meats Monday, but just as we were walking away from the section, deli-meat free, Justin said, "ohh bologna! My mom used to make us bologna sandwiches!"

To which I replied, "mine did too, and I remember peeling the ring off from around the edge of the bologna..."

"Ooo me too! I remember that," said Justin, with a sudden look oo-can-we-pleeaassee-get-some in his eye.

"I have a nasty confession to make," I continued. "When I was really young I used to make bologna sandwiches with grape jelly...I'm sure my parents thought it was extremely weird, but apparently I used to like it."

Then we stood there for another minute. Looked at each other, then back at the bologna. Then I picked one up and tossed it in the cart.

So tonight I got home and Justin asked me, with a slight look of disgust on his face, "do they make hot dogs out of the same stuff used to make bologna? I just had a slice, and it tastes exactly like cold hot dog."

I guess we'll just wait until we have kids of our own to try out the bologna again. Needless to say, I think we'll be tossing out an almost full container of bologna in about 3 weeks. I also noticed, to my utter disappointment, there is no ring to peel from the edge of the bologna...There's nothin' like the good ol' days!

(And yes, I sang the Oscar Meyer song while spelling out b-o-l-o-g-n-a.)

2 comments:

Maggie and Drew said...

It is posts like this that make me think you guys should write a book! I read it out loud to Drew and we were both laughing so hard! B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!

Heather said...

I had the same sitch with bologna a few years ago! I used to love bologna and ketchup sandwiches when I was a kid, and then I had one when I WASN'T a kid, and it does taste like cold bologna.

Do kids these days eat bologna, or was that something that died out with us becoming 10?