Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Epiphany


We don’t have a dishwasher. Yeah, yeah…I know people 100 years ago didn’t either and they had to walk to school barefoot and uphill both ways, too. But really, not having a dishwasher is 0% cool.

And yes. It’s still 0% cool when there are only 2 of us and we are both at home and awake for maybe 4 hours total a day, which is time enough for at least one meal at home. We still have a lot of dishes to wash. And silverware...The bane of my existence.

I despise washing silverware. Don’t get me wrong, I do wash them, but I leave them for last or even until the next day when I ask JT to help wash the dishes. Muahhhhahhahaa.
A few weeks ago I had an epiphany on my way to work. What if JT and I each pick out a heavy duty plastic plate and matching bowl that we use for each meal? Meaning, if your plate is sitting in the sink, you have to wash it off, dry it and use that one and that one only.

I proposed my idea to Justin and he actually went for it! I thought he'd say it was silly, but I guess he hates washing dishes just as much as I do! There was only one hesitation he had: "What if I want to heat up chicken nuggets...we can't put those plates in the microwave?!?!?!!!"

Well, apparently he hasn’t noticed, but I stopped buying nuggets a few months ago. Muahhhhahahaa.

We picked out plates and bowls at Target...Justin chose black, naturally, and I chose red. So far so good with the plates. We did use real dishes for holiday treats, and even busted out the China for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

The dishes still pile up though. They aren't all dishes, per se...it's really more the pots, pans and cooking utensils that pile up. And silverware. I just enjoy cooking too much and love using all my fun gadgets and cookware to figure out a solution for that problem.

If you have any tips...aside from using paper plates, plastic flatware or aluminum pans...feel free to send them our way! And please don't think poorly of us for finding ways to cheat Mr. Clean.

2 comments:

The Cox Trio said...

I know how you feel! Remember that basement apartment of ours in Bothell?... There was no dishwasher and it really affected what we ate. I too despise washing dishes, you're not alone. :-)

Heather said...

I agree. I hate dishes. And I've found, that even with a dishwasher, I still have dishes I have to wash. There seems to be something wrong with that.

http://babybirdy.blogspot.com/2009/01/bottle-thy-name-is-chump.html