Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Somehow [our] story is part of your plan"

While Team Thompson has successfully knocked out 1.5 months in California, we still find it hard to believe this is the place we now call home. Justin and I had a conversation the other day about how each of us at one point in the day find ourselves thinking, "Wow...I'm pulling into the parking lot where I work...in California...I am living and working in California!" We also discussed reasons that it hasn't really sunk in: every night we come back to the RV...an RV parked in California, but usually is permanently parked at my parents' house in Washington. Justin and I have only stayed in the motorhome while it's in Grandview or in Pullman, so to come "home" to a place in California that we associate with Washington plays a tricks on our minds!

Because of a song on the radio, we also discussed how awesome it has been to watch God's hand in our lives. ("In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." —Proverbs 16:9.) In October/November, we were waiting for the call to tell us we'd be moving to San Jose. We were excited for the adventure, but while we spent more time apart and as I slowly told my former employer, family and friends that I was leaving, it became harder. I struggled to stay positive; especially when we couldn't (and still can't) get rid of our apartment, the economy kept getting worse, I wasn't getting any responses from jobs I'd applied to, we didn't know where we'd live etc., etc. I found myself giving into the pressures much more than I'm comfortable confessing...I'm one who does not like to show my emotions, much less accept that I'm even experiencing them in the first place...I definitely feel like a wussy when I let my emotions get the better of me and the tears come out. Slowly but surely, things have gotten better, and this adventure has most definitely brought the two of us closer. We depend on each other for all things such as companionship, conversation, comfort and familiarity.

We've taken a step back in the last few days to give extra thanks and praise to the Lord for all he has done for us. ("But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.'" - 2Cor 12:9.) We know that people have been praying for us and we're seeing the results. Some examples: Justin's boss called while we were on our way to Cali (not knowing exactly where we'd stay) to tell us she'd booked a room at a hotel for us until Jan. 7; she then called on the 5th -- without knowing at all that my parents weren't able to make it down here with the RV until the 15th -- and said that she extended our hotel reservation to the 15th. Coincidence? No. Also, Justin loves what he is doing here. He feels challenged and appreciated, and is inspired to work hard to get to the next level. Furthermore, I applied for probably 20 different jobs, but the one (of 2 phone responses) that came through is nearly my dream job: I get to work at a farmers market/gourmet grocery store in the middle of a hustle-bustle city and the people I work with are strong followers - one even makes prayer beads and sells them as a side business.

As I said above, what sparked this conversation was a song on the radio. The other day while on my way to work (btw, I have a ~1.5 hour commute each way so I spend a lot of time rapping, singing country and/or praise songs and listening to NPR), I was listening to the Christian station and heard a song that made me laugh out loud thinking it would be a good anthem for Team Thompson. I thought I'd remember the chorus so I could find it later on, but of course, me and my ability to make up words for songs that aren't correct managed to forget, so I listened again on my way home hoping to hear it so I could scribble the words in my notebook. Instead, while listening I heard one of the three songs that are guaranteed to make me cry. There is no doubt that I've cried more since Matt died than I probably have in my entire life - I generally get my crying done while I'm car or in the church bathroom (except for a couple rare outbursts at work of all places!?!?!) so I'm alone and won't have to talk about it with anyone - not even Justin. The song, "Blessed be Your name," makes me emotional out of sadness, yes, but more out of acceptance and faith. Listening this time around made me think of the other song that gets me emotional. It was a song played at my "Uncle" Tom Smith's funeral - I hadn't heard it before the funeral, but found it to a very powerful and important message. (Tom is actually my mom's cousin, but when he'd call our house, he'd always say, "Chris? This is your Uncle Tom.") The song is called "Praise You in this storm" and every time it's on, I turn it up, get a rush of emotion and listen as closely as I can. Wouldn't you know it, but the VERY NEXT song that came on was that song. At that point I started laughing and crying at the same time out of amazement - this again was no conicidence. I was a blubbery mess when I arrived home and Justin later asked me what was up. Thus, the conversation began.

While in the midst of your own storms, it can be difficult to take a step back and see the blessings, no matter how obvious or subtle. We're grateful to have each other to talk with, and though it can seem awkward sometimes, we're luck to be able to discuss these things openly.

To all of our blog followers - those we know about and those who remain sneaky (I'm a sneaky blog follower too, so don't think you're the only one!) - we pray for you constantly. We pray for your needs; needs that are spoken and needs kept quiet, for blessings to come your way and for you to recognize the hand of God in your lives, too.

Please continue praying for us.

I did find the Team Thompson anthem. It's "Here I am" by Downhere.







(Picture by Tom Smith)







***I'm adding in one more thing here that I have withheld for a long time now. Not really for any particular reason, besides that I wasn't sure when or how to go about writing it so that it would make sense. That and I don't want to make too many people sad when they read this. Since moving to California, I have seen more of the same model of Honda Accord that I drove in high school than I ever did in Washington. I bought that car from my cousins Connie (Eliason) and Mark Miller - that was Connie's first brand new car and I told her when I was like 8 that I would buy it from her when I was 16. And I did. $500, a box of plums and the promise of free babysitting for life later, I had my very own car. Connie died from her battle with cancer just days before my high school graduation. She was and is one of my very favorite people and I think of her every single day. Honestly. No matter if I see a 1986 Honda Accord or not :).

6 comments:

MaryJane said...

Thanks for sharing this post. It really touched me. Listening to your songs reminded me how much I enjoy worship music. Time to put some on my iPod instead of just books on tape. Books on tape are great for long commutes, though!

MaryJane said...

Oh yeah, and I love that picture. I remember when you guys took that trip!

The Cox Trio said...

Oh Chris, I love you!!! You know the problems we're having up here and while I read your post I felt like you were talking about me. Faith is an amazing thing and once we whole heatedly give into it miracles happen! We're praying for you two and find comfort in knowing you go the same for us. BTW, I love Here I Am!

Jenn-Jenn said...

Stiney, I am soooo happy and proud of you guys. I'm thrilled to hear you love your new job - can't wait to hear all about it. I actually got really teary-eyed reading your entry -- you're a very eloquent writer. What really stunned me, though, is that your overall message about faith and God's role in your success was the EXACT discussion my RCIA group had after Mass this Sunday. We were talking about Job's turn of luck in the bible and how when we are faced with misfortune or hard times, we often become consumed by that and miss out on recognizing where God is during that time and just how blessed we really are.

Katie said...

I'm one of the sneaky blog followers you talk about! Just thought I'd make myself not-so-sneaky and let you know that I love reading your blog.

Hope all is well in Cali---sounds like everything is and that's so great!

Maggie and Drew said...

You never cease to amaze me with your grace and strength of faith. Thank you for such a sweet post (and for making me cry at 8AM at work!). I am so proud of you and Justin for all you have accomplished. I love you both!