It's been a bit of a nutty summer around here. While we are glad we bought a house, it came with a fair share of issues, which have caused me a fair share of stress, creating a whole new set of issues.
1). Stress + Christine = physical ailments/trips to the doctor! Maybe I'll get into the details in a later post. Apparently I'm fine, but do have some anxiety.
2). Shortly after we moved in to the new place we discovered that the fridge had been leaking water. It permeated the wall and the floor behind the fridge, resulting in moldy carpet and a potentially moldy wall. We worked quickly to remove the carpet and install new flooring, thanks to the in-laws. Only after most of the work was done did someone ask us about home insurance...being first-timers with a house and home insurance, it never crossed our mind. That whole situation was extremely stressful to me, and grew to an even more intense situation when we discovered a few weeks later that the cupboard next to the fridge was filled with mold and rotting away. $
That's all fixed now. I don't want to talk about it anymore. $
3). The week between mold discovery and mold removal/wall replacement the AC quit working in the middle of the night. It gets hot around here, so it was an issue. $
4). The day of the boys' birthday party, the doorknob came off in Justin's hand. It just came right off. $
5). For about a week we thought Justin might be diabetic, based on results from blood work done at his annual check up. However, after repeat blood work, we were informed he is no where near being diabetic; that he must have simply had an outstandingly sweet breakfast the morning before his first draw. Sheesh!
6). It's monsoon season in Arizona. You may have seen some pictures on various weather media showing the dust storms, also called haboobs, roll through. They're usually accompanied by thunder, lightning and rain -- intense rain -- and, of course, wind -- strong, gusty wind. There are usually flash-flood warnings because ground is so hard and so dry the rain has no where to go. You may remember the floods that devastated Mesa and other areas last year.
We've been hit by a monsoon almost every night for a week. It was so windy Saturday, the large Mesquite tree in our front yard was uprooted and fell directly on top of BOTH our cars. Yep, both. I rarely leave my car outside, but had moved it out to gain more space for painting the hutch. $
Justin's car is a work car, but we are still responsible for the deductible. $
Friendly neighborhood folk came by throughout the night to alert us to the downed tree. Another neighbor brought over his chainsaw in the morning to help free our rides, and a friend came later in the morning to help move the wood away, finish freeing the cars and clear off the driveway.
We're grateful no one was outside and we're very thankful the tree didn't hit our house. I'm even more grateful the cars are drivable and the repairs aren't enough to total our car (read: I don't want a new car payment right now).
7). To top it all off, though, my hairdryer started smoking Monday morning. $
Adulting isn't all it's cracked up to be. I guess Billy Madison was right when he said to a little third-grade boy who was eager to grow up and go to high school that he should, "Stay here. Stay as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it."
On a more serious and important note, however, I was reminded in all this by a dear friend that we are to "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work in you so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." -- James 1:2-4.
Man, oh man, did I need to be reminded of that in the midst of all these trials!
I was (ok, I am) having trouble considering all these things pure joy, but I am so grateful I serve a God who knows every hair on my head, who graciously offers a peace that passes understanding, who upholds me with his righteous right hand and who says, "fear not, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you!" -- Isaiah 41:10.
I need all a lot of strength and peace these days, that's for sure.
With that said, we should highlight some good news:
1). As of yesterday, we are officially out of our lease in our last rental. Whew! 2). The boys are healthy, Justin and I are healthy and 3). we are blessed with amazing friends and neighbors. 4). We're thankful for family who call to check in on us, pray for us and 5). even offer to fly down and help out the day the tree fell on our car (my bro Joe is pretty neat).
In other good news, 6). Emmett's enlarged kidney has officially decreased in size to a normal range so he has officially graduated from regularly scheduled urologist appointments. Yay! 7). He also seems to have outgrown his cow's milk protein, corn, soy and who-knows-what allergies. No more bloody poop! He's eating all regular food now and we aren't avoiding anything.
8). We've been blessed with the opportunity to buy our own house and make it a home!
I suppose the good does outweigh the bad! If you think of us, please pray for us!
PS -- All things happening at once has reminded us of September 2010 when both our cars were in accidents the same week, followed by Justin getting rear-ended five days later in the rental car he was driving while his car was being repaired! Hopefully that's all for now, for later and for a long time!
1 comment:
Holy moly! Glad the trees didn't fall on your house! Glad to hear little Emmett's health is improving :)
Post a Comment