I left nearly all the grocery shopping to do until the 23rd, the Monday before Christmas, you know, like any sane person would do. I had a plan. I had different lists for different stores. Rolin and I were going to gobble breakfast and get out of the house by 9:30 a.m.; we got out by 10 a.m., but I was still happy with the time knowing I could get it all done and be back for lunch and nap time.
Well, the car wouldn't start.
I popped the hood, shook some wires, checked the oil, looked at the filter, jiggled the battery...
Just kidding, I didn't do any of that.
I called Justin and told him what was going on with the car. Then I texted my mom to complain that I was a fool for leaving shopping until that day anyway and then the car wouldn't start. Then dad called and we covered a list of possibilities. Everyone involved suspected the battery, but it was odd the car would sound like it wanted to start, it just wouldn't finish turning over. Thankfully, Justin was able to rework his schedule a bit and came home to my rescue. We got a new battery, even though the battery people told us there was nothing wrong with the old one.
They were right -- the new battery didn't fix the problem. We had the car towed to a repair shop where we learned it was the fuel pump and that they could get it fixed by Friday. I'm grateful we have Justin's work car as a backup!
Team Thompson against faulty fuel pumps.
Anyway, we got errands done, naps taken and Christmas dishes were started after bedtime. The Thompsons arrived that night around 10 p.m., just as the cheese ball was chilling, the rolls were rising, the eggs were boiling, the twice-baked potatoes had completed their first baking rotation, the fudge was cooling and I was finishing the clam chowder we'd have Christmas Eve.
Rolin greeted his grandparents in the morning, who quickly swept him off to the park to play. Justin worked for a bit on Christmas Eve day, but was home in time for the candlelight service at church. After dinner, at which was served the traditional clam chowder, spinach salad and rolls, we all opened one gift and then got everyone to bed.
If I'm being realistic, this was probably the last Christmas, for about 17 or so years, or at least until my children are teenagers, where I'll have an opportunity to sleep past six in the morning. We all took advantage of the extra sleep time, but were ready to hop downstairs once Rolly was awake. No one wanted to miss seeing Rolin's face when he spotted his presents.
Lots of playing with toys was done after breakfast, and the Thompsons each took pajama-clad strolls around our cul de sac, pushing Rolin in his little car. He was quite insistent in going outside every 10 minutes or so.
Rolin also received the moon for Christmas.
Dinner was the Team Thompson tradition of surf-n-turf. We had crab legs and flank steak, accompanied by twice-baked potatoes, salad, rolls and a few other small delights.We played games, watched Christmas movies, FaceTimed with other family members and overall enjoyed our day.
The following day, the Thompsons, Rolin and I went to the Phoenix Zoo while Justin went to work. Rolin cruised in style in his new car, was enthralled with the lizards, lions and a duck that he and Grammy fed Cheetos. He and Grammy even got to go feed the giraffes! He didn't fall asleep or get cranky -- I was very impressed, especially since we were there from 11a.m. - 4 p.m.; he had a great time!
Headed to the zoo with Grandpa Lee and Grammy Karen!
Grammy Karen and Rolin got to get up close and personal with the giraffes.
Rolly wasn't much of a fan.
Before the Thompsons left that Friday, we met Justin for lunch and then hit up the train park in Scottsdale. I'm glad Rolin got to spend a few action-packed days with his Grandpa and Grammy, I know they were glad about it too!
Watching the trains pass by overhead at the train park.







1 comment:
Rolin looks like quite the "guy" in his shades and new car! Love the Phoenix Zoo!
Post a Comment