Friday, June 7, 2013

May in Review

May was quite the month for Team Thompson. It was full of visitors, road trips and learning just exactly how destructive a 10-month-old baby can be once he figures out how to crawl.

Cousin Maggie came to visit the first weekend of the month to meet Rolin. It was a quick weekend trip, but it replenished my Maggie tank. It's tough being a grownup and a parent...there's just not as much free time to go back and forth to Chicago as often as I please, so I certainly cherish the times I get to see one of my closest and dearest friends in person.

We just took it easy most of the weekend, but we did get to practice our mountain-lion scaring tactics again, you know, so we don't get rusty. Never know when you may cross paths with a cougar.

Mother's Day came the following weekend. My first one as a momma! I blogged previously about the day, so read my "Mother's Day" post if you need a refresher.

Rolin and I headed to Grandview the weekend of May 17 to celebrate my mom's retirement from the school district. It was a lovely evening spent at The Walter Clore Center in Prosser, right next to Desert Wind Winery. Rolin had a rough time in the crowd of new faces, but overall did OK, and we were able to stay for the whole party. He did, however, poop through his party pants, but that's no surprise. Put a cute outfit on a baby and it's only a matter of time before there's poo on it.


It was a beautiful night to be outside and enjoy a view of the river and Horse Heaven Hills. To me, there is nothing more beautiful than the Horse Heavens in the late evening light. What look like brown mounds during the day, the hills turn into a gorgeous mix of purple, yellow, blue and green at twilight. If I could build myself a dream home, it would be near the base of those hills, with a porch angled just so so part of it pointed directly at the hills, while the other would allow a view of the sunset.

I came home Sunday after the retirement party and we welcomed Linsley and Jeff to stay as guests later that night. Ohhh, how I miss my Linsley time! Lots of crying happens when we're together -- crying from laughing so hard, that is! If you need a refresher on Linsley, you can read more about her in my "Ain't no Party like a Motorhome Party" post or my "California Girls" post.

Lins and Jeff left Wednesday and my parents came Thursday. They stayed here on their way to Flathead Lake in Montana for their annual "Indy Weekend" get-together with the Bye family. Justin was gone that week so it was definitely nice to have some extra arms for a few hours Friday morning. Friday was also when Rolin turned 10 months old.


Justin got back Friday night and we all left early Saturday morning for Aberdeen. It was Curtis and Kate's wedding week, and we were fortunate enough to get a whole week off to spend with the family. Plus, we made it to Aberdeen without anyone getting peed on, and I didn't knock over a full bottle of formula on the drivers seat! I'll blog more about our time in Aberdeen soon.

One quick note about our stay in Aberdeen, though. While there, we celebrated Justin's 32nd birthday -- twice! Once on his actual birthday and then again the next day when more of the family could join us. Justin bought himself a bicycle for his birthday, and that's all I have to say about that...

Seriously, don't get me started on the bike.

Anyway, May came and went in a blink of an eye. I hope June goes by fast too because we're looking forward to July; it's the month we celebrate Independence Day, as well as several birthdays, including Rolly's first. We're also going to the beach as a family of three. I can't wait!

No comments: