I just felt my first earthquake. I definitely felt a jolt while sitting in my chair and soon realized what had happened when my co-workers all quickly tried to decide what we should do if it continued to shake.
Thankfully it was just a jolt, not continuous shaking.
You can rest assured, though, that Team Thompson has a disaster kit and an emergency plan in place should something horrible happen. My friend Heather and I decided to get 'er done a few weeks ago and hit up Costco for some emergency supplies.
Too bad the kit is at my house...22 miles away from my current location. Smooth. We can only hope that both Justin and I are at home if that time comes.
According to the USGS, this earthquake was just a 3.8 magnitude, centered near Pacifica. I know this because a while back I decided I needed to terrify myself daily, so I download the Earthquakes app on my iPhone...it lists all earthquakes all over the world and will alert me to earthquakes over any certain magnitude around any certain radius I choose.
I don't advise downloading this app. It's given me gray hair. It was a bad idea, especially since Jesus says, "do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." (Matthew 6:34). That's one command I certainly struggle daily to remember!
One last note. Today is the 105th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake that registered at 7.9 on the Richter scale, destroying much of the city of San Francisco and killing more than 3,000. Here's an article from the Mercury News reporting that a group gathered today in San Fran to commemorate the anniversary and to hold a moment of silence for those suffering from the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.


2 comments:
Oh my Christine that app would freak me out! I didn't feel a thing. Would you mind sharing what's in your emergency kit?
I like that you are prepared, but I don't like that it is a necessity for where you live. Guess you're right, we can't worry about tomorrow.
Post a Comment